[Pharmacy Management] If You Want it Done Right, You Don't Have to Do it Yourself
Do you feel as if you need to do tasks yourself because you believe you perform better than anyone else on your pharmacy team? Do you believe it's easier to do a task yourself than take the time to teach someone else how to?
The truth is that you are not alone; the majority of business owners fear delegation, too! Unfortunately, the reality is that you cannot do it all! Delegation is an extremely valuable skill to master. The good news is that figuring out the best use of your time and importance of each task will help you prioritize and find items to delegate off your plate.
Productivity problems start with the manager. Learning how to properly communicate and delegate will reduce heavy workloads while increasing job performance and building positive relationships among the pharmacy team.
Delegating allows your employees to grow professionally and buy into the success of your business, since they feel they are a part of that success. This delegation system allows for more teaching, guidance and coaching.
We know delegation is important, but are you actually doing it? The good news is this problem is fixable. You just need to know what to do. The following tips for effective delegation will help ensure your team is successful with tasks given to them.
Tips for Effective Delegation:
- Prepare beforehand and define the task. Is it suitable to be delegated?
- Select the individual. Clearly specify the task to be completed. Ask to be repeated back. Do they understand what needs to be done?
- Explain why. Why is the task important? Why has it been delegated?
- Agree on deadlines. Clearly outline the time frame within which the delegated task must be completed.
- Support and communicate. Schedule meetings to review and offer guidance.
- Feedback. Hold a debriefing session to discuss what went well, what could have been improved and what has been learned.
With proper delagation you will see a difference in employee teamwork, relationships and overall morale. Pharmacy Owners and Managers have seen tremendous improvement with their team after they learned how to effectively use these tips at the Pharmacy Powerhouse Team Training.
Based on the book: If You Want It Done Right, You Don’t Have to Do It Yourself! The Power of Effective Delegation, by Donna M. Genett, Ph.D.