Flu season is upon us, and as they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. How will you be conveying that message to your patients this flu season?
Here are 22 marketing tactics to position your independent pharmacy as the go-to for their healthcare needs this flus season. The ideas below are all highly effective with little to no-cost investment. Whether you choose to implement one or all of the ideas, they’ll make your job a lot easier and your pharmacy marketing tools much more effective by keeping your brand top of mind.
1. Flu shot gift cards. This is a simple flu shot solution for younger patients with elderly parents, friends or neighbors. Have the gift cards available at your cash register and strategically place some signage throughout the store. Your all-star pharmacy team should also be trained to mention this offer while the patient is receiving their shot. Before you know it, your independent pharmacy can be the go-to healthcare destination in the community.
2. On-site flu shots to local businesses. The flu takes a real toll on workplace productivity. Reach out to local business leaders and organizations offering them the solution they didn’t know they needed. Send a letter or make a personal phone call offering to administer on-site vaccinations. Take the stress off their plate allowing them to focus on running their business while you build yours.
3. Send out a voice broadcast to your past flu shot customers. If they received a vaccination in the past, they’re likely to continue. Consider sending a voice broadcast to elderly and diabetic patients. Remember these best practices while you’re planning the campaign:
- Create a short script that runs no longer than 30 seconds.
- Avoid scheduling the call too early in the morning, too late at night or during typical dinner times.
- Think about what type of voice would be pleasing to the ear.
- Don’t forget to give the customer the ability to opt-out from receiving future calls.
4. Record helpful and educational videos. Engage and education existing and potential customers. Videos can be posted to your website, shared on social media, played in the store or linked in an email campaign. Here are a few video suggestions to get you started:
- Demonstrate how flu shots are pain-free and easy to administer by using a live patient (make sure you get their consent first!).
- Create a fun, candid video
- Tap into the knowledge of a staff pharmacist or the pharmacy owner and ask them to record an educational video. Sample topics: The Top 5 Ways to Stay Healthy This Flu Season (tie-in products they can buy in the store) or How to Wash Your Hands Effectively
- PRO TIP: Ask a child to join you in the video – their mom will surely show it to 20 people.
5. Record a new on-hold message. Sometimes putting patients on hold is unavoidable. Make the most of this (hopefully) brief hold and remind them about the importance of getting a flu vaccination. Keep the message short and to the point and when your done conducting the business that they called about, ask them if they’d like to schedule their flu shot appointment
6. Place a sign by the road that reads, Flu Shots Here. Simple, cost-effective, and most importantly, it works.
7. Pass out “I got my flu shot, did you?” stickers to each flu shot customer. This patient will be a one-day walking advertisement and testimonial for your pharmacy.
PRO TIP: Take pictures of customers wearing their stickers and post a collage of these on your social sites. Make sure to ask for their consent first! These customers will share the image on it. Influencer marketing at its best!
8. Have FAQ and Fact Sheets, both in English and Spanish (or any other language prevalent in your location), available in the pharmacy waiting area.
9. Hang flyers around your pharmacy and on community bulletin boards.
10. Send customized letters to families with children, diabetic patients, your elderly customers, pregnant women, etc.
11. Educate your staff on the benefits of getting a flu shot and train them so they can effectively “sell” to your patients.
12. Send a text message reminder to your customers that have opted-in to receive messages from your pharmacy.
- The flu claims an avg of 36,000 lives and hospitalizes more than 200,000 people every year. Schedule a flu shot by calling xxx-xxxx.
- Flu season is just around the corner, protect yourself by getting a flu shot at ____________.
- Stay healthy this winter, get a flu shot. Call ___________ to set up an appointment.
13. Offer a $10 coupon to the store with every flu shot. Restrict the coupons to OTC items only and only on a $20 sale or more.
14. Set up a synchronization alert to automatically remind this year’s flu shot patients when it’s time to come back next year. This strategy works well for any appointment or event in your pharmacy — diabetic shoe reminders, cholesterol testing days, etc. Do you have a medsync program in place? If not, you’re missing out! Here’s a great place to start.
15. Offer free Vitamin C to the community. Position your efforts as a way to keep the community healthy during the season. Not only will it put your pharmacy in a good light, it will also get people to spread the news about your efforts and get people to walk into your store.
16. Add a widget to your blog or website. Go to the CDC website and download one of the many data and statistics widgets they offer for health-related websites and blogs.
17. Inform your Facebook and Twitter communities by uploading your ads, videos, reminders, and exclusive promotions.
18. Set up an after-hours flu shot clinic for professionals that are stuck in the office during your pharmacy’s hours.
19. Write blog posts about the flu season and how to stay healthy. Suggestions: The Truth About Flu Shots, How to Stay Healthy During Flu Season, and What to Do if You Catch the Flu.
20. Staple bag stuffers to each bag leaving the pharmacy with flu flyers.
21. Update your monthly pharmacy newsletter with an ad, educational article, or information hotline number geared about the flu season.
22. Update your pharmacy voice mail message. Include a quick recap of benefits and how they can make an appointment.
Not sure where to start? Voice broadcast scripts, bag stuffers, flyers, FAQ sheets in English and Spanish, etc. can be found in the PDS Advantage Library by searching the keyword “flu.” These documents were designed as basic templates; feel free to edit the information to fit the needs of your pharmacy. Don’t have a PDS Advantage account? If you are a valid pharmacy professional, you can set one up for free here! Begin testing out a few of these ideas this week, and let us know what else you would recommend, or what has worked for your pharmacy in the comments below.
Independent pharmacy owners have multiple items on their to-do lists, with the most important being properly dispensing medications to ensure their patients recieve the right dose to get well. Running your operations and implementing new programs, all while keeping up with employee morale, can often get pushed to the side. These details may seem minor, but they often what take a back seat and in doing so, negatively impact your business.
Don’t Just Survive. Thrive.
Pharmacies have many opportunities to add additional revenue utilizing their existing prescription customers. You just have to take a deeper look into what you’re already doing. Below are our top 3 ideas to increase revenue without expending too much effort.
- Idea 1: Take a visible end cap on a heavy traffic pattern isle and fill it with seasonal items that are already on your shelves.
- Idea 2: Place a tester for a hand or pain relief cream on your wrapping counter. It’s all about the laws of percentage!
- Idea 3: Recognize which shelving in the store has the most visibility to your customers while they are waiting for their prescriptions to be filled. Find the sections that could be communicating “buy me” while a patient is standing or sittiing down waiting. Make sure to have the right mix of impulse, trendy, cute and useful items.
Cost-Saving Tips to Keep in Mind
- While snacks and candy seem like quick and easy sales, the reality is that their profit margin is too low and take up too much valuable real estate.
- Some specialty candies down low will do the trick especially as “distraction” candy for kids.
- Make sure to stock items that are fun versions of old standbys, such as:
- Neon or animal print nail clippers
- Cell phones paraphernalia (Only EVERY customer over 8 has got one!)
- Pain relief products, or sleep aids
- Unique pill holders (this one is a fast seller!)
There is no playbook or blueprint that guarantees what you should be offering in these highly visible and high-traffic locations – all it takes is trial and error. Your traditional wholesaler carries general drugstore merchandise that you can find in every chain drug, grocery and dollar store. Become the destination for products other than the predictable OTC drug necessities!
Finding the Best Resource for Specialty Items
We live in a society that is constantly consuming. Whether your customer needs a modest gift to give or wants the latest gadget or gizmo, keep something on shelves they’ll be willing to buy. With desire, modest effort and a reliable resource, you can start to fill your registers with much needed augmentation for the low reimbursements you’re receiving on prescriptions.
About the Author:
Langermania is the leader in providing specialty products for independent pharmacies to grow their revenue. Many of our products are not found in the chain stores, eliminating the worry of competition and keeping up with the latest products. We work diligently to source the latest trends to be able to offer over 7,000 stores unique items. Visit our website to see more of what we offer and how we can help grow your independent pharmacy.
If you asked a room full of independent pharmacy business owners if they would prefer to increase the number of customers filling $10 prescriptions, or increase the dollar value of existing scripts, chances are they’d all choose the latter. But many believe it’s easier to find more customers and admit to focusing on marketing tactics to attract new business instead of working to optimize current prescription profit margins.
While increasing the patients you have coming in the door can certainly make your business busier, one of the easiest ways to improve your bottom line is to focus on increasing the profit per script of your existing patients.
Sounds great, right? But how is it done?
PDS Members are spending at least one hour per day mining their database and utilizing the PDS Profit Chart They are identifying profit-driven opportunities where, for example, a doctor-approved switch from one low-profit drug to one in the same drug class, but with a higher margin, can increase your profits every month that patient is on the prescription, and often lead to fewer side effects. A $10 prescription can quickly generate a $100 profit (when filled monthly) almost instantaneously.
For example, Mike, owner of a Utah-based pharmacy and a PDS Member since 2013, credits using the Profit Chart to having the best few months in the history of his business. Mike and his team have tripled their profits per script in his most recent month of reporting – a difference that amounts to a $40,000 boost to his bottom line!
Data Mining – the Profit Chart’s Best Friend
One of the most effective ways to increase $10 scripts to $100 profits is by utilizing the Profit Chart to identify key switch opportunities, implement successfully, and replicating that success across as many scripts as possible.
To do that, pharmacy business owners should leverage data mining – the practice of reviewing your pharmacy data when it comes to patient prescriptions, highest/lowest paying drugs, highest/lowing paying insurances, and more.
Once you identify an excellent opportunity for a profit increase, identify other candidates that have been prescribed the first medication and see if you can benefit from suggesting the switch to them as well.
PDS Member Vic, owner of North Carolina-based pharmacy, did just that by implementing the Pain Protocol. Seeing how well the pain medication switch for several patients fared – $90,000 in one month to be exact – Vic realized that if he thought broadly, he could replace several medications, following the profit and improving comfort and care for a huge percentage of his pain patients.
The Profit Chart Paradigm Shift: Pharmacy Businesses Are Allowed to Make Money!
The “profit-driven” mindset and practice of utilizing data mining can be a bit of a paradigm shift for many independent pharmacy business owners.
PDS Members John and Sue, owners of a Kansas-based pharmacy, recall that at first, they felt like they were “gaming the system.” They shared that it felt wrong to be seeking the greatest profit from their patients when they had chosen the pharmacy industry with patient-care and not profits in mind.
Amy, an Oklahoma-based PDS Member, felt very similar but shared that ultimately the PDS Founder, Dan Benamoz, put it best when he explained that leveraging data mining is one of the best ways to move the needle and keep her in business.
These are stores where communities and patients have built heartfelt relationships – stores the patrons want to continue to frequent.
Utilizing the Profit Chart and data mining doesn’t hurt the patient at all – in fact in many cases, the switch either doesn’t impact the patient or improves their standard of care through a higher-quality drug.
Turning Ideas into Action!
If you’re ready to stop focusing on things out of your control – like low-paying insurance providers – download our newest eBook – The Pharmacy Business Blueprint for Massive ROI – now! Or, to see how PDS can help you turn $10 prescriptions into a $100 profit, chat with one of our Business Growth Advisors
Improving profit margins is the name of the game for small
business. The key is doing so with little to no extra cost or effort. We are here to tell you that profit doesn’t have to be a four letter word. You can have it both ways: improve your patient’s health care and run a thriving, profitable pharmacy business.
Consider ‘cross-selling’ tactics for a moment. As a pharmacy, we can solve problems your patients may not even know they have. You are the experts, and it’s time to show it. Rather than looking at it as just selling an add-on product, look at it as an ‘up solution.’ With a well-trained staff, they can begin to make recommendations for products that will help your patients while they are still in the store actively buying from you. Cross-selling is a quick and easy way to increase profits while positioning your pharmacy as a knowledgeable and caring community healthcare destination.
Remember, you are not in the prescription-filling or DME business, you are in the problem-solving business. You provide solutions to people’s health issues. And guess what? There are hundreds of cross-selling and upsolution opportunities readily available within the four walls of your pharmacy.
I Didn’t go to Pharmacy School to be a Salesman
Correct, you didn’t spend six plus years learning how to make a “sale” or how to grow your independent pharmacy profit margins. However, you did learn about the different interactions and side effects of hundreds of medications and how to educate your patients on the solutions available to them. By re-framing your team’s thought process (and incorporating a little bit of training), you can increase to your bottom line by thousands of dollars a year. As the pharmacy owner, you are not alone!Train your staff and create critical drivers that encourage your team to take a vested interest in the business.
Growing a Profitable Supplement Business
Pharmacists are taught to be on alert for major side effects from the drugs prescribed. However, from our experience, there is rarely a focus on educating their patients about depleted nutrients caused by medications or supplements to enhance the performance of their prescription. You are the best person to share this knowledge with the patients in your community. As the medication expert, you can help them maximize their therapy and reach their ultimate health goals.Patient education, offering supplement solutions, and healthy prescription alternatives to patients can add thousands of dollars to your bottom line and build credibility your role as a great source for health information in the community.
High Margin Upsolution Opportunities
There are 100’s of cross-selling opportunities available at the fingertips of pharmacy professionals. Here’s a quick list of conditions and products that have proven to decrease the chances of nutrient depletion, improve the disease state, and grow your bottom line.
- High Cholesterol Patients – CoQ10 either OTC or as a prescription
- Chronic Pain Patients – Transdermal Rx, OTC B Vitamins and Vitamin D3
- Poor Bone Density Patients – High quality calcium supplement, such as calcium hydroxyapatite
- Depression, Allergy, Autoimmune and Muscle Relaxant Patients: Vitamin D3
Nutrient Depletion Recommendations
- Proton Pump Inhibitors – B Vitamins, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Probiotics, Vitamin D
- Blood Pressure Medications – Antioxidants, B Vitamins, Magnesium
- Diabetes Drugs – B12, Folic Acid, Chromium
- Diuretics – Magnesium, Zinc, Calcium, B6, Vitamin C
- Statins – CoQ10, Antioxidants,
- Oral Contraceptives – B Vitamins, Antioxidants, Multivitamin with minerals
Product Pairing Recommendations
- New toothbrush with antibiotics
- Hand sanitizer for cough and cold products
- Lip balm for acne medicine
- Children’s fever medicine for antibiotics
If you are a pharmacy owner, manager, key employee or anyone in the industry concerned with the state of pharmacy, you must join us to discover the solution that the top 20% of the industry have already discovered. Own your future. Clickhereor below to find out more about the 2018 PDS Super-Conference in Orlando Florida on February 22-24, 2018.
Here at PDS, we take pride in highlighting some of our incredible solutions partners. We know these companies have the potential to revolutionize pharmacies just like yours through their products and services. We’re excited to introduce Ideal Protein; read on for their sponsored blog post about an exciting new revenue stream that is focused on wellness & better patient outcomes.
Are you ignoring a high-value, high-impact opportunity for your pharmacy? It may seem overwhelming to consider adding a new service to your existing business when reviewing your current day-to-day operations. But, have you really thought about the sustainability of your current business model? As drug reimbursements decline and become harder to realize through cost-containment techniques of PBMs, highly trained pharmacists and their teams should be focusing on the most cost-effective and impactful services for their business.
Pharmacies are often the most accessible health care hub for patients in their communities; not seen only as a medication center, but an advice center. Oftentimes, patients with chronic conditions rely on their pharmacist for advice on how to manage their ailments.
As a healthcare provider, you know that excess weight is a contributing factor towards many chronic conditions.
Are you providing your patients with the solutions and tools they need to heal and prevent these ailments?
Diet plays a critical role in many diseases, and in a marketplace saturated with “fads” and “quick fixes,” who does a patient turn to for advice? In order to achieve patient wellness, the first step for a healthcare provider is to advise their patient towards weight loss and good eating habits as key in easing chronic conditions. The second and vital step is to offer that patient a structured solution, overseen by a healthcare professional, that provides effective results and focuses on long-term sustainable weight management. Over 3,800 clinics have done just this with Ideal Protein.
What is Ideal Protein and How Can it Help Pharmacy Growth & Patient Wellness?
Ideal Protein aids in significant and sustainable weight loss, resulting in improvements toward patient outcomes who are using the system. We have provided healthcare professionals a complete turnkey suite of assets to offer to their patients. As value-based reimbursements become the standard, pharmacies are stepping up to provide effective solutions that improve the health of their patients and result in greater store profitability with a low operational footprint. It is about becoming the retail healthcare hub in their community.
With a unique business model, pharmacies who implement Ideal Protein can expect to:
- Deploy existing staff to deliver a unique, sustainable weight loss and weight management service that improves patient outcomes.
- Drive weekly in-store customer foot traffic and new customer acquisition.
- Benefit from a new high-margin, cash-based revenue stream.
- Develop long-lasting customer retention and trust.
All of the education, training, and weekly visit materials are provided to the staff to ensure that each patient receives consistent one-on-one support. As patients lose weight, they often need medication re-modulization for which pharmacists are available to make their recommendations to the physician.
Because the system is effective, patient referrals are one of the leading sources of new customer acquisition. In addition, patients receive daily support through the IdealSmartTM mobile app, continually focusing on long-term behavior change. As an Ideal Protein authorized clinic, we provide your pharmacy access to all of the material needed to implement and grow your business.
One of the biggest challenges for a pharmacy business is that no one likes to sell. It seems to be part of our psyche that if you are selling anything, it equates to a used car salesman selling a lemon dressed up as a Cadillac.
In other words, selling is perceived as trying to get people to do something that is not in their best interest. No wonder we resist it! And the problem is we are so busy avoiding selling that we are often not providing our customers with all the value we have to offer.
If you want to increase your sales, don’t train your pharmacy to sell; teach them to solve problems and offer solutions.
Problem Solvers and People Pleasers
In many cases, patients don’t even know how to think about what you have to offer, much less know how to choose it.
For example, a patient who has just been diagnosed with diabetes likely has a “deer in the headlights” look. They think they are coming in to pick up a prescription (or several). They don’t even know how to think about dealing with diabetes themselves, much less that you can be a resource and guide them through measuring and tracking insulin levels, adjusting meds and important supplements and resources. What to start with, what to do next, and how to make lifestyle changes that will determine their quality of life? When they are standing in front of the pharmacy counter holding their prescriptions in their hand, they don’t have a clue what is involved or how to make a decision.
Thisis where training your pharmacy team to identify problems and offer solution is essential. Once you have fully identified their needs, the next step is to educate them on what you can do for them. If your customers don’t understand the value you have to offer – they are going to make a decision based on perceived price – and you are going to be squeezed!
By identifying your customers’ needs based on what they are buying, you (and your team) can then recommend other products, programs or services that will support them. It is always the customer’s choice whether or not to buy what you are recommending. You actually take away that choice if you don’t let them know what you have to offer.
Your Pharmacy’s Profit Ignitor
Training this skillset can be hard work, but it is possible. To make your life easier, we developed the Pharmacy Profit Ignitor workshop where you can send your team to understand the vast opportunity of increasing front-end sales by offering solutions via nutrient depletion supplements.
This pharmacy training is where they will learn how to ignite front-end sales based on products already in your store or by bringing in new lines. They’ll leave with an action plan and return ready to increase your bottom line by $18,000 or more in the front end and much more on the back end of your store. And, learn strategies that can be used over and over to increase sales that compliment sync and data-mining initiatives.
To learn more about how to get beyond selling and build your superstar team, download our free eBook: Pharmacy Training – A Practical Guide to Creating a Superstar Team.
In this eBook, you’ll learn about…
- Employee engagement and the impact it can have on your business
- Identifying key characteristics to build a superstar team
- Disengaged employees, the key indicators, and the negative impact on your business performance, profit and the connection between the two
- Leveraging professional training programs
- Training courses, workshops, and webinars exclusively available to the pharmacy industry
Lack of patient adherence is a struggle for many pharmacies that rely on dispensing medication to improve their customers’ health and keep the lifeline of scripts flowing. But there are ways to flip the tables on the conventional dispensing model and build a reliable return.
If you attended PDS 2017, you may remember a presentation from PDS Member, Jason Turner, about the substantial benefits of implementing a synchronization program for both patient and pharmacy. The program he presented will significantly impact adherence to deliver better care and help with the CMS Star Ratings system.
Jason recognized a need for enhancements when he noticed that with his existing SyncRx program, he saw significant improvement in adherence quality measures but only saw limited improvement in ACE/ARB and high-risk medication quality measures, which are core components currently in the Star Rating System.
He responded by creating an add-on to the SyncRx program that enables a quarterly Comprehensive Medication Review (CMR) for each SyncRx patient. This identifies intervention opportunities and creates better patient outcomes all while developing the clinical abilities of the pharmacy team.
Today, he is the leader and developer of PDS’ SyncRx+ Program and activist in patient care and outcomes. His MTM-focused enhancement to SyncRx into a full-blown, turnkey SyncRx+ program is available to any pharmacy who is interested in implementing this successful service.
Sync or Sink
If you’re interested in learning more about the program that’s so important, it is one of our few open enrollment training courses, you’ve come to the right place! Now you can watch an Insider’s Guide on-demand session that gives you the run-down on the program and benefits. It is facilitated by Jason Turner and Dr. Nicolette Mathey, PDS’ resident Clinical Services Director.
Watch the On-Demand Webinar by clicking here or below.
Know the Red Flags, or Sink.
Pearson’s Law: Everything measured improves, and everything measured and reported on improves exponentially.
When is the last time you measured your pharmacy’s financial progress? We’re willing to bet that most reading this don’t take a deep dive into what makes their pharmacy thrive — and what is bogging the business down.
Understanding your financial statements is a necessary game business owners must play if they intend to win. Far from a boring topic, speaking your pharmacy’s financial language will become fun once you can interpret what your statements are trying to say to you. Once you tap in, it will start telling you if you are on the right track, what initiatives or tactics are viable, and what ventures you should drop immediately.
Waiting until symptoms manifest shouldn’t be the time to look into your data. You must be able to identify what’s happening in your business long before things go south. Below are some red flags you should look out for that signal a vital need to look into your statements immediately.
Red Flags to Look Out For:
- Your pharmacy cash balance is low.
- Your payables are growing, but your cash is not.
- You have little or no understanding of what your true accounts receivable balance is.
- Your payroll is not the ideal of 11-13% of revenue.
Learn to Speak Your Business’ Financial Language
Cashflow and understanding financial records are your keys to discovering what your business is saying to you. Pharmacy Development Services offers two ways to take control of your financial data.
- Cash Flow 101 Workshop: This training course teaches you to understand the language of your statements and how to check the pulse of your financials so you can determine the next course of action you need to take as a business to keep that arrow moving up. In this workshop, pharmacy owners step into the lion’s den to learn how to read, understand and interpret financial statements along with other pharmacy data to help you make better management decisions and seize opportunities. Get an insider’s look at what the Cash Flow 101 course is all about by watching this video of one of the workshops below. Find more details and catch the next session here.
- PDS Bookkeeping Services: Level up your pharmacy by taking control of your finances. We take your messy pharmacy financial records, clean them up, make them easy to read and enable data-driven decisions. We’ll also standardize your chart of accounts, convert your old QuickBooks and fully reconcile all of your bank and credit card accounts — plus more! Find out more about our comprehensive pharmacy package and inquire about the service here.
Get an insider’s look at Cash Flow 101 from an attendee’s eyes below:
Don’t wait until those red flags sink your ship. Understanding your financials can mean the difference between thriving and closing your doors for good.
For more information on Pharmacy Development Services Pharmacy Training Courses, click here.
For most independent pharmacy business owners, it often feels as if small changes in daily activities could rarely contribute to a substantial increase in a store’s profits.
Your team spends countless hours every day filling scripts, restocking shelves, staying up-to-date on inventory orders, offering your patients premium care, and if you’re really on top of your game, syncing patients
It doesn’t feel as if you have a spare moment, let alone a spare hour to put toward a new project…
But what if we told you that spending those 60 minutes, every day, on data mining could drastically improve your pharmacy business?
Greg, a Utah-based PDS member and independent pharmacy owner, increased his gross margin by 5% with data mining in just a few short months. The result? His team was able to add almost $400,000 to their annual profit through data mining. Read more stories like his here!
Data mining is not only a great way to increase your profits, but it will ensure your patients are receiving the best possible medications for their needs.
What exactly is mining your database?
Data mining is really a way of thinking and looking at your business. You have a wealth of information at your finger tips and most likely it goes unused everyday. A part of data mining is the process of habitually running daily reports on your existing patient database to identify profit-driven opportunities within your pharmacy business. For example, a simple, doctor-approved switch from one low-profit drug to one in the same drug class, but with a higher margin, can increase your profits every month that patient is on the prescription, and often lead to fewer side effects.
Step 1: Running Reports DailyChances are, you know what your volume is on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, but you’re focusing on the wrong metric! Pharmacy owners need to concentrate on their gross profit per prescription.
Utilizing the PDS Profit Chart to identify exact drug class switches being accepted, and working with Profit Gurus to identify opportunities specific to their pharmacy, PDS members are creating systems that allow their teams to find more of that type of business.
It’s about working smarter, not harder, and focusing your efforts to earn more from your existing patients. However, you’ll also start to Identify Trends – step 2.PDS MEMBERS: To have your database analyzed by one of our Profit Gurus and access a list of ready-to-make switches, please email your Performance Specialist!
Step 2: Identifying Trends
With your daily report figures, you can begin to break down commonalities in your customer database, which is a key step in optimizing your profitability.
For example, you may identify a number of patients that suffer from the same ailment who are registered with the same insurance provider. Half the patients may have been prescribed medication A, while the other half have been prescribed medication B. If medication B pays out significantly higher and is known to produce better results, it’s worth attempting to switch the first group over to medication B from medication A.
Typically, a database can be mined for opportunities either by looking at disease-based or prescription-based pathways. It’s best to check both pathways regularly, and once you’ve identified a strong opportunity to improve patient care and profitability, you want to move on to step 3 – Replicating Your Success.
Step 3: Replicating Your Success
With a profitability opportunity identified, the most efficient way to benefit from the discovery is by identifying all candidates within your database that meet the same criteria.
For example, rather than identifying one patient, Mary Smith, who should be switched from medication A to medication B – look for all of the patients that meet the same criteria as Mary and work on reaching out to all of those patients for maximum profitability.
Getting Results With Data Mining
After running your reports to identify opportunities and analyzing trends, you will be ready to work toward increasing profitability with strategic medication switches.
Your team will be in an excellent position to reach out to patients with recommendations for better medications, supplementary products, programs and services that will both improve patient care and increase revenue.
Data mining is arguably the most impactful change you can make to your pharmacy business profitability and the change can easily be executed in an hour a day. If you’d like to learn more ideas for increasing your profits, download our eBook: Pharmacy Business Blueprint for Massive ROI where we outline three proven tactics that help owners get out of the profitability rat race while providing world-class healthcare to patients.
Three Game-Changing Tactics for Massive ROI!
Download our new blueprint for pharmacy business owners who want to provide world-class health care AND boost your pharmacy profits.
Have you been struggling to create the pharmacy business you once dreamed of as a staff pharmacist?
Battling to get through another year where you stay afloat?
Asking yourself, ‘How are other owners preparingto expand?’ when you only have time to focus on the tasks at hand each day?
In an industry full of questions and unknowns, we’re seeking answers… and opportunities!
When we put the question to our team of experts (including bankers, business coaches, corporate executives, marketers, pharmacy owners, and trainers!) about which pharmacy-specific growth tactics are worth it and which ones flop, they all said the same thing – focus on profitability.
We repeat – if you want to see massive ROI this year – follow the profit!
- Get proactive.
- Don’t wait for business to come to you – go out and get it.
- Look for the business initiatives that are the most profitable.
So what are the 3 tactics to jumpstart your pharmacy business ROI?
- Mining Your Database – Create more opportunities by mining your existing database while identifying and anticipating patient needs.
- Attracting the Most Lucrative Customers – Get rich by maximizing the opportunities that serve the needs of your best customers.
- Leveraging Strategic Partnerships – The more you connect with like-minded peers, the greater your own success will be.
While many independent pharmacies operate with the majority of their patients yielding $10 prescriptions, the most successful owners know that they can tap into their same database to yield hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in prescriptions every month. You can apply this same strategy to your pharmacy, too!
If you’re ready to stop focusing on obstacles that are beyond your control, like low-paying insurance providers, download our newest eBook – The Pharmacy Business Blueprint for Massive ROI – now! Or, to see results even quicker, chat with one of our Business Growth Advisors.