Optimizing Inventory Management and Decreasing Errors
RxSafe, the Grand Event Sponsor at the 2017 PDS All-Star Super Conference is fiercely committed to challenging conventional wisdom, upending the status quo, and developing technology that will define the future of the retail pharmacy industry.
In the following pharmacy automation case study, we feature RxSafe customer Ed Potts, owner and pharmacist at Medicine Shoppe 0805. Continue reading to see how his team leveraged RxSafe’s technology to minimize errors during peak hours and streamline their inventory control processes.
Meet Ed Potts: RxSafe 1800 Customer
Medicine Shoppe 0805 is located in Fairfield, Illinois and focuses on providing caring service for their customers. The owner and pharmacist, Ed Potts, has spent the past several years focusing on changing the company culture. Technicians now think of themselves as health care providers and really listen and educate their customers. Potts says that owning a pharmacy isn’t just about filling prescriptions, it’s about caring for people.
The pharmacy processes an average of 275 scripts per day and primarily serves older people who are on multiple medications. They provide free delivery for people who are unable to leave their homes and offer specialty services such as flavoring antibiotics for children. The pharmacy has many loyal, long-term customers, including one who has been with them for almost thirty years.
His Pharmacy’s Challenge
Ed Potts’ main concern as a pharmacist is accuracy. He realized that they weren’t achieving 100% accuracy during peak periods, which was unacceptable. Potts says, “The medication has to be the right drug, with the right count. It gets very busy sometimes and mistakes can be made. It can be easy to grab the wrong medication strength or count the incorrect dose.”
He was also focused on improving inventory management and control. Knowing where specific drugs are located and how many are on hand is important, as well as tracking expiration dates and usage.
Potts was looking for a solution that would address these key issues as well as free up pharmacist and technician time in order to allow them to provide a higher level of patient care to their customers.
Finding a Solution
As Ed’s Rx got busier he realized something had to be done. Ed’s Rx purchased the RxSafe 1800™ and Eyecon™ to work in tandem with their existing ScriptPro 200™.
Potts shared, “We‘ve had a ScriptPro 200 for eight years and we set it up next to the RxSafe so the workflow is very efficient. We liked the ScriptPro, but it’s inconvenient to have to keep filling cells. We only use the ScriptPro for large quantities that we go through quickly.”
- Improved accuracy. One hundred percent accuracy for drug and dose when proper processes are followed. Potts says, “RxSafe solved my accuracy problem. I know what comes out of the machine is always the right drug and the right count.”
- Inventory management and control. Previously Ed’s Rx had an inefficient and time consuming manual inventory system. Potts says, “Now a technician can just check the RxSafe inventory report to see what we need to order. We can also get a report of expired drugs so we can send them back.”
- Space savings. Raise productivity, increase accuracy and free up valuable retail space for other uses. “Our RxSafe automation freed up space, time and people in our pharmacy so we could do other things.”
- Labor efficiency. Reduction in the time required for technician counting, pharmacist verification and inventory management, and as a result, reduction in the labor force. Potts shared, “RxSafe has helped our pharmacy tremendously. The machine saves time in pharmacist verification, technician counting and filling, and inventory management. Now I only need one person instead of two and have been able to move a tech over to our MedSync Program.”
- Improved patient care and introduction of new programs. Patient care improves and resources can be reassigned. According to Potts, “RxSafe has allowed us to free up a significant amount of work time, which allows us to provide a higher level of patient care. We’ve been able to add a Medication Synchronization Program as well as recently introducing a Weight Loss Program, further benefiting our patients.”
About Ed’s Rx / Medicine Shoppe (MS0805)
Ed’s Rx is The Medicine Shoppe Pharmacy in Fairfield, IL. We are here first and foremost for our patients because we care. We want you to have a welcome experience when you enter our doors and to receive the best possible service with caring, trained professionals who will listen and provide you with what you need for your health. We offer a full range of products and services to meet all your pharmaceutical needs. Our pharmacy staff is always available to answer your questions and assist you in any way possible. Our goal is to always provide our patients with superior service and compassionate care.
Connect with RxSafe!
To learn more about RxSafe and their cutting-edge pharmacy automation technology, go to www.RxSafe.com. Also plan to stop by their booth #100 at the 2017 PDS All-Star Super Conference in February in Orlando, Florida.
Read Another Pharmacy Automation Case Study!
Have a few more minutes? Learn how Jana Bennett utilized technology to increase her pharmacy’s output… without having to hire a another technician! Read the pharmacy automation case study now.